University Day 1

So today I have embarked on my first real adventure, I have moved out of my house and into my new home for the next year which I will be sharing with 8 strangers. This is something that I have been preparing for a while but still didn't mean that I was ready for what awaited me even though I have always wanted to go to university. So I should probably start from the beginning.

Since I can remember I have always wanted to go to university and I am so happy that I am here, however there is a part of me that is petrified by the whole idea in itself as well as being away from the ones I love. When I found out that I got into my chosen university I was over-the-moon but also I was upset that I couldn't stay in the safety net of my current life. The time between getting my results and move in day went far to quickly for my liking, I knew it was coming but I still don't believe I'm here.

I woke up this morning and tried to stay calm but my emotions realistically were all over the place. I stuck to normality by making my family pancakes and getting ready like a usual day. Then packing up the reminder of my stuff, it hit me because I was now leaving but that wasn't the worst bit. To condense everything in my room down into boxes, to clear my whole room and to know that its no longer home was so hard. Knowing that nothing will ever be the same again was almost too much for me but I found strength in the fact I'm excited to learn new things and experience a new world. Once I had finished the packing and moved everything downstairs ready to be packed into the car, then came the hardest part.

Saying goodbye to the people I love the most was horrible, to know that I can't just come home and cuddle my little sisters or see my boyfriend whenever we wanted or talk to my mum about my day when I get home, was like a part of me had been ripped away. First to say goodbye and possibly the worst was me and my boyfriend, although we will see each other as much as possible, the thought of reducing our time together hurt and I didn't want to say goodbye. There isn't a day that I won't miss him because he has such a large impact on my life and watching him drive away, broke my heart a little. Next to say goodbye was my little sisters, I have always felt like I need to protect them and me going to university means that I won't be there to do the big sister stuff which is upsetting but saying goodbye to them was more like saying 'see you soon'. Finally it was saying goodbye to our dog, our relationship probably isn't the best so I said "bye you smelly thing" and her response was to burp at me which sums us up.

Next was the drive up to my university which was only about 2 hours away, although it consisted on me being cramped into the seat with all my stuff around me and boxes falling on me which was very funny for my parents but not me. Once we arrived and checked in we went to my room, we were pleasantly surprised because although not my first choice of accommodation, the room was perfect for my first year at university. Then came the endless stream of unpacking which quicker than expected because of my mums intense tidying skills and it wasn't long until it was time to say goodbye to my parents. Although it wasn't an emotional one, it was a hard one because I am pretty sure that my mum has done everything for me and now I don't have her to do that or be there as much for me. I made this goodbye very quick because I didn't want to get upset or make my mum upset.

Coming back into the halls was hard because I then has no-one I knew but it was fine because all of my new roommates are really nice and we are all still going through the same thing. Its hard to know what its going to be like especially the thought of sharing a bathroom with 8 other girls frightened the life out of me but after bumping into them all in the halls, my fears diminished a lot. Following that we all went to dinner together and all started to get along really well, there are some with confidence and bubbly personality but other that are quieter which makes it a lot easier to blend with my multiple personalities. Following dinner we pretty much all just chilled in the hallway because we don't have a common room for just the flat but with drinks and card against humanity it was all great. After a while, I retreated to my room to relax and FaceTime, whereas the others went out but I felt emotional drained and reflecting that was a good decision, no need to go hard straight away.

So after my first day I was enjoying my time here but I do miss my home and the people a love so much. There are so many reminders that remind me of people that I would really love to be here but thats okay because this is something that I need to experience. So the one piece of advise for freshers right now is settle but try and get involved as much as possible, this is something that even I need to follow a little bit better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullying

Tell yourself you look beautiful everyday

Battles