Long Term Relationships

70 miles seems like nothing when we live in a world of nearly 8000 miles but to me 70 miles is far as its the distance between me and my boyfriend. You might be thinking well that is also the distance between me and my family, it is which is difficult but this is completely different. When leaving your family, you have to get used to living without them but I have never lived with my boyfriend. I thought that I would start a new series of blog posts about relationships because I would love to know about other people's opinions on relationships. So why not put everything into 5 ways to make a long-term relationship work.

1) Talking!!! It is so important to make sure that all lines of communication are open with your partner. By this I mean that, you should always feel open to talk to them about anything because you are there to support each other. Anything that you are going through, can be simply be helped by talking to them about it. Within a long distance relationship it is not just about you, your partner is also living their life away from you and will always have things to talk about. It is also important to get anything that is troubling off your chest because they can't always give you the physical support whereas this just helps you emotional. I soon learnt at university, that once I told my boyfriend about any issue, he made it so much better and often helped solve the issue. 

2) Make sure that when you do spend time together, you plan to do something. When you plan to do something it means that you have something to look forward to, allowing you to forget the negatives of being apart. It also means that you don't waste the precious time that you do have together because often it is easier to do nothing. It gives you something exciting to look back on as well as providing you with more than just each others company. 

3) Trust. I don't need to go into a lot of detail because I feel like a lot of people will understand where I am coming from. You are clearly in a long distance relationship because you have deep feelings for that person. If you don't trust that person then there is no point in those feelings because you need to be able to rely on each other. Trust can be built but once its lost, it is extremely hard to get back. 

4) One thing I definitely needed to correct myself on this year is the amount of time that I spend away from my relationship. I mean, not putting a time limit of anything else but my relationship. By the final term of university I realised that instead of making sure that I was available for my partner 24/7, I need to ensure that I had my own time. This helped to improve my relationship because it gave me time to relax and enjoy myself, as well as enjoying time me and my boyfriend spent as it was more precious.  It also helped the talking as we had more to talk about, instead of it just being university work (which I can assure you is not the best conversation). 

5) Remember that everyone is different and everyone's relationship is different. That means that what might work for one person, might fail for another person. Relationships are about constantly trying but remembering to stay within your morals because you should not change yourself for other people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullying

Tell yourself you look beautiful everyday

Battles