Hectic First Month

So I have been at university a month now, had our first month anniversary with my flatmates yesterday and I thought that I would update you with whats going on. This past month has been up and down for me so much, my emotions have been all over the place for many different reasons. I feel like I have got myself in a routine now but I don't think that I will ever feel completely at home here, I guess for me this seems a bit like a long educational holiday.

Home?
I keep calling my halls 'home' because its where I do everything; eat, sleep, learn, etc and to some extent it is but its weird not living with people that are family. Its like having the longest sleepover with your friends and knowing that it doesn't have to end for another 9 months! I have got used to being in other peoples company but at the same time it's weird at the same time because I almost expect my mum to be waiting at home to hear about my day. One struggle I have faced is the lack of kitchen which means that I have to go to canteen to get my dinners, which is getting better and at first the food wasn't the best, it really reminds me of primary school dinners. I love that I have made my room comfortable with a nice cosy bed, world map (of course - I am a geography student), photos on the wall and comforts that remind me of home home. However, this hasn't made the transition much easier, the long nights and the lack of sleep have left me many times in an emotional state and that's okay because its not going to be a quick adjustment process for everyone.

Friends and Family
I miss them! I'm not going to lie being around so many loved ones to feel isolated away from people you know isn't great but you have to make new friends and adjust to the new environment. The majority of the time it doesn't affect me being away from home because I am constantly texting and on the phone but its late at night or on the weekends when I am not as busy, that I do feel lonely. I have been very lucky to have visits from my boyfriend and my family - even my nan came and surprised me. There is nothing better than seeing those loved ones because you know that when you go home it will pretty much be the same, unless you sister now has your bedroom (yes I am holding a grudge). One thing I have found is that just telling them things about your day means that you are able to build your relationship over the distance and I have found that it helps to do special things that you might not have before, like I went food shopping with my family which sounds silly but meant so much to me. Now onto the negative, things are going to change, friendships can change and as a result you may feel very disorientated because of it. The lack of connection and availability to each other may mean that you are unable to have the same relationship as before, however you have to work through the issues and know that it will all be okay in the end.

University Work
When they say you will get a lot of work at university, you underestimate how much they are going to give you. One of my lecturers has given us 12 different sets of reading to do in a week and when you have 5 different classes plus practical, it sometimes feels like your drowning. When you release you only have a week to write your first essay and you have no clue on really what they want from you, you are going to stress. However, you need to keep a clear head, find priorities but also make sure you are getting the down time that you need because without it, you will crumble. I have found just reading a book at the end of the evening the most relaxing way of destressing myself. University work is hard but you have to have the perspective that you can do this, you have to trial and error but you also have to enjoy what you are doing, you have to find that interest and understand those concepts around you. Remembering that you chose your degree for a reason, when your sampling mud (yes I had to play with soil - gross) this may be very hard to understand why you chose your degree but you have to find the positives always find the positives.

Flatmates - my KW girls
I just wanted to add on the end, that although I am not always the most social of girls and I do like to have my head in the books. I would not be able to do this without my flatmates around me (and my loved ones at home), we all have a laugh and we have just clicked so well with each other. Without you girls, I would not be here right now so thank you for making me feel at home. Having flatmates that you get on with is important because they are your siblings essentially and without them, time at university would be pretty boring as my department is huge. Its always nice to come in and shout the word 'friends' and know that somewhere is there to go through your day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullying

Tell yourself you look beautiful everyday

Battles